photo 3b823d4d-eced-4d1c-9d5a-8c7a585c4683.jpg

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Red Velvet Cake

Photobucket

Back in February in honor of Valentines Day I decided to make a Red Velvet Cake. I saw Paula Dean baked one on her show & I decided it looked managable. I'd never tried Red Velvet Cake before and wanted to see if it lived up to all it's cracked up to be. I knew Joe had had it before but not since we'd been married. In a way I kind of wanted to recreate something for him to remind him of home back in GA. I first had to barrow a round cake pan from a friend because I only owned two. When the cakes were done baking I thought they were looking a little over cooked & would be dry. My oven seems to cook things faster even though it's brand new. I ended up breaking part of a cake flipping it to cool but I continued to put the cake together with cream cheese frosting. When the cake was done I was proud that I made a Red Velvet Cake from scratch. Now the test. What does it taste like? Will it live up? I took a bite expecting it to be like regular moist ,light & fluffy cake. I wasn't. It was heavy. It didn't taste like I thought it would either. The creamcheese frosting was way too sweet. Hmm so I wasn't all that impressed. Joe seemed to think it was really good. I guess it just wasn't what I thought it would taste like.

Photobucket

I should have used more frosting inbetween the layers. It looks totally sloppy. But it is definetly very Red.

Michael on Valentines- for those who missed it


Photobucket

A few months later I decided to try it again only this time cupcakes & a new recipe. They looked great. But still tasted heavy. Laura commented that they have the texture of corn meal. I had to agree. I guess I just like my cake light, fluffy & moist. These were not. Bummer.
Have you tried Red Velvet Cake? Did you like it?

6 comments:

Catherine said...

That is so funny... The other day, all the cake mixes were on sale (things are cheaper here by the way) so I decided I would stock up on cake mix (I Love cake mix cookies!) when I saw the red velvet mix.. i grabbed one specifically because I had never had one and wanted to try it.. my husband thought I was crazy... now I am going to have to go make it today because of your post.. I'll let ya know what I think!

Jan said...

I have never wanted to make a red velvet cake really. It just seems wrong with all the dye. I would probably have a reaction of some sorts. It looks like you did a great job though. And Michael, well you did a great job there.

Janet said...

Never tried it don't know if I will since reading your post! I like my cake to be light and fluffy too. We are going to be in Dupont WA from 12-18 through 1-4 and we are hoping to go to Pasco for some time in there so maybe you will meet Violet and I will meet Michael this year :)!!

Dani W said...

I have had red velvet cake and I LOVE it! It is different that regular cakes... not as springy. They should have more of a pound cake or angel food cake consistency to them dense but smooth and moist. It should also just melt in your mouth... yummy! It takes really good with chocolate frosting... butter cream frosting should work really well with it. Also you can make Better Thank Sex cake with red velvet cake and add caramel, cool whip, chocolate and what not to it. SO delicious!

Brooklet said...

I haven't made it yet, but I always planned to for valentines day one of these years. But I will have to be wary, and maybe not serve it to people, in case they think I am serving them red cornmeal.

Anonymous said...

That cake looks so good!!!!!!! YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Michael is so cute in that picture. CUTE CUTE CUTE!!!!!!! Love the post.
Bye bye.♥☺♥