photo 3b823d4d-eced-4d1c-9d5a-8c7a585c4683.jpg

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Denial

Wondering about the title of this post?  I'll explain. 

Last week I completed the routine 1hr glucose test.  The shortly after my doctor called to tell me I had not passed.  So I'm thinking- "not again!"  I didn't pass the 1hr with Michael either but went on to pass the 3hr.  So my doctor put in at the lab for me to do the 3hr.  Joy.  I remember doing this last time and almost passing out a few times.  You must fast for 10-12hr prior to the test.  I wasn't looking forward to it at all.  I went in on Tuesday morning at 7am to take the test- right when the lab opens.  I first had to wait with my number to get to the front desk.  (This is a hospital lab with a "take a number" system).  Since it was a holiday weekend prior and this was a military hospital I was number 43.  Great.  After my initial wait was up (8am) I was given a new number that got me in quick so I could get my fasting blood drawn.  Then I had to wait for the results before getting to drink the orange glucose. 
  
9am- read part of my Harry Potter book but couldn't concentrate with all the noise.

9:10 drank the orange glucose, tastes like orange soda, which is one of my favorite sodas so I don't mind it.  I actually like it. :)

10am- Price is Righ is on TV.  Sweet.  A newlywed couple won a new mustang.  Dang they almost won a second car in the end but under bid after questioning their first higher bid.  Can't believe the other couple won when they were 13K under.

10:10 blood draw- That didn't hurt.

11am- Soap operas are on TV.  Try not to watch so I don't get sucked in.  Break out the Nintendo DS and play me some tetris. 

11:10 blood draw- Ouch- vains why can't you be bigger so they don't have to use a butterfly needle? Those hurt!

12am- local news is on.  Snore.  Wish I could be sleeping right now.  Only 10 minutes left and one blood draw and I can eat!

12:10 blood draw- Yes, please even out the pain for me and use a butterfly needle on my other arm.  Thanks.  Ouch! 

I picked up some lunch on my way home from Panda Express for Joe and I so I could eat ASAP.  Shortly after I put Michael to bed.  Joe left to go to an appoinment.  I started cutting out a quilt I'm making... more details when I get close to actually finishing it.  Later I decided I wanted a nap too.  After my blissful three hour nap- four for Michael.  Crazy I know!  He must have played hard with Joe.  I went downstairs and Joe let me know I had missed a call from my doctor.  So I called her about the results.  She was already gone so I left a message.  Then come to find out Joe accepted an appointment for me to learn about how to handle gestational diabetes
What? 
You're kidding right?
NO WAY!!!
Me? Little me?  I have gestational diabetes?
I thought my body was good at being prego.

I called and confirmed with my doctor the following morning (today) and asked a few questions about wether one thing I did or another could have resulted in a false positive.  She said no.  Bummer.  I was really hoping to get out of this- maybe take another 3 hr to prove this isn't happening. 
 I welcome you gestational diabetes with folded arms and a clenched jaw. 
You are not welcome here.
So to answer any questions you may have- I don't have many yet, one of my first appointments is this Friday morning.  I don't know if I'll only be exercising and on a special diet to control my levels or having to do that plus giving myself insulin shots.  Joy.  I do know that I will have to test my blood sugar levels regularly.  

 Here's a pic of me at 29 weeks since I've been terrible about blogging this pregnancy.

10 comments:

NaDell said...

I hate those hard to find veins. I had to have my blood drawn today after a doctor's appointment (follow-up to my second gall bladder appointment) and one lady tried twice, so another lady came in and tried two more times with the butterfly needles. None of it worked for me. I didn't even fill up the tiny tube that leaves the butterfly needle, so I get to go back tomorrow. I would NEVER make it as a druggie is all I have to say about that.
I'm sure you can manage your food and things well for the last few weeks. I'm excited to see your quilt too.

Ashleigh said...

i am scared of having gestational diabetes. You will be fine though and atleaste you dont have to change your diet for the whole pregnancy, just the last couple months. In some ways it would be nice to be forced into eating heathier, i have a hard time doing that when i am pregnant. you look really cute when your pregnant. i wish i looked that tiny. i miss you!!

Em and Ms said...

I'm sorry! What a pain, but at least whatever they have you do will just help your baby. My friend had gestational diabetes with her twins and she said it wasn't really that bad. Hang in there--at least you look cute with that round belly!

Dani W said...

I am in the same boat... well kind of ... i begged the lab tech and my OBGYN to let me take the 1 hr over again... since I had had two granola bars on my way to the Dr appt... they failed to mention I was having the glucose test that week. So I will find out the 16th if I need to go in for the 3 hr test... ugh... let me know how it goes!!! I hope you are fine though... I would really hate for the remainder of your pregnancy to be harder than it already is. Being prego in the summer time is no fun! :) I cant wait to see the quilt you are making!!! Oh ... and I really enjoyed the layout of your post... super funny and cute. I can almost hear you saying it. lol. Take care and I hope all goes well! :)

Vallente said...

That stinks! Better to know and manage than hae complications, huh? You'll be fine! You are a super cute prego!

Rebecca said...

Really stinks. :( I don't really understand what that means even though I have heard of it. I too liked the orange drink and thought it tasted like soda. :) I hope this doesn't mean a no sweets diet for you. If so let me know and I would be willing to eat more on your behalf. :)

Candace Wegner said...

So sorry Kelsey! I'm pretty sure you just have to watch what you eat. Good thing is it goes away with delivery! Only a few months left! Take care of yourself!

Rach and Clark said...

If it makes you feel any better, you are so stinking cute! One hot momma! And the due date is so soooo close. Just keep it in mind that it won't last forever!

Riggs Familia said...

aw man. that sucks kels. sorry to hear. but baby is worth it right? at least that's what i'd have to keep telling myself! hang in there! cute preggo! i need to rub your belly jk :)

The Mothership said...

I was diagnosed with GD when I was pregnant with my oldest (and borderline with my other two). Then we moved across the country, I saw a new doctor, and she wanted me to re-test. I did and passed. No more GD! So, I did the diet/blood testing for 6 weeks. It was really hard at first, but after the first week or so, it is just a part of life. The weird thing was, that I never had elevated blood sugar levels except once I ate a hamburger. How bizarre is that? Apparently white foods make the blood sugar jump really fast. I'm sure you are getting all the diet suggestions and everything. I hope you don't have to do insulin. If you can keep it under control with the diet and testing your blood (I had to do that 4 times/day) then you shouldn't need to do insulin. Wait, you are in Texas right? That was where I was diagnosed as having GD and when I retested in CA I didn't have it. Interesting. Sorry for the sidenote and the super long comment. :/

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!