It read:
She ate her placenta, would you?
(Click to read article)
Did you know there was such a thing as Placentophagy?
Reading others opinions on the matter though were interesting. I became more open to the idea after reading random comment #357 . It reads:
I read through each of the 356 posts.
Here’s a summary:
- It’s NOT cannibalism.
- Many cultures around the world do it. Americans do things that others think are gross and strange.
- Why do it? It provides nutrients and hormones you can’t get anywhere else.
- Most of you are downright mean and acting like Jr High girls, with your name-calling and superlatives.
- Just because a concept is new to you, doesn’t make it gross or strange, only gross and strange to YOU.
- It isn’t any more disgusting than hotdogs or fast-food burgers (anyone seen Supersize Me?)! Add enough chemical flavors, and Americans will eat anything!
Della(#106): Thanks for sharing the Wiki definition.
Book Nerd(#121), Melanie(#174), & Moira(#315): Thanks for your testimonies.
Michelle(#207): Filipinos don’t eat cat. Cantonese do. Get to know your neighbor better.
Extra info: In China (where I live), for those who don’t eat it, the hospitals sell it to cosmetic or drug companies. That’s right - YOUR BEAUTY PRODUCTS CONTAIN PLACENTA!
As for me, I don’t think I could eat it, though I would like to for the medical benefits. Melanie’s story made it sound good, so maybe I could that way. I mean, occasionally I can down a hot dog or fast-food burger, as long as I don’t think about what I’m eating. I wonder if I can get it made into pills in Shanghai. hm. Either way, I’m not letting the hospital make money off it!
A lot of the responses to this article were negative, very negative. I didn't read them all but enough to feel how others felt on the topic. I think we are not open to new ideas enough and just close our eyes and ears refusing to listen to something that could educate us. Now I am not saying I would eat a placenta but I am open to the idea of learning about something I had no idea about before.
Did you read the article? What do you think about Placentophagy?

7 comments:
Wow! I had never heard of it! Reading that actually made me thankful for my infertility!! :)
I think you're right, though, that we do tend to reject and judge and label things too quickly that are foreign to us.
Wow... I don't know if it is something that I would do but it cant be all bad if the Lord creates it right?! As for the mean comments of those with an unopened mindset... I have a hard time reading comments to most articles because of that. It never ceases to amazing me how rude and ignorant people can be sometimes.
I couldn't do it, but kudos to those that can (i hope it helps) I do know that post partum sucks, and would take of pill of placenta if it would rid you of it...lol but gagging it down... i don't think so...
Well, I know animals do it but I've never heard of humans doing it. I do believe that it could offer those benefits because that's the way our bodies often work and function, but I would NEVER consider it unless I had some life threatening illness that could be cured or something :)
hmmm, interesting topic! I really liked the quote you singled out about it not being gross and disgusting just because you think so. I think that can applied to a lot of things people become judgemental about.
So what do you do? Tell the doctor afterwards "Wait! I want to keep that! It's for dinner tomorrow"
Very interesting. I remember seeing something on show a while back about turning the placenta into capsules. As gross as it sounded, I had to look it up. Reminds me of all the different "going back to the old days" stuff that is becoming the latest fashion/parenting style: diaperless babies--(teaching your 3 mth old to use the toilet. Have fun but I like the convenience of diapers), attachment parenting (where you carry your child with you in a sling or carrier most of the time to keep that bonding with your child.) Anyways, they're always coming up with new stuff and this sounds like one of them. It was very interesting to know that animals do it. Why do we not have that instinct if it's what we're supposed to do or have we been trained to think it's just gross? Very thought provoking article--even as biased as it was. Thanks for sharing Kelsey.
Post a Comment